Wednesday, July 30, 2008

"Be The Change"--US Kids’ Open: Awestruck & Inspired!


July 30, 2008 is not a day my daughter (Sierra) and I are likely to forget.

Acting as Communities In Schools Representatives, we were asked to be Ambassadors for the many children and families attending the Kids' US Open from all over the world. The event, held this weekend at the Pinehurst Resort, brought over 1200 people from 67 countries to Moore County!
Sierra and I were asked to "adopt" the delegates from Puerto Rico for the day. These 8 beautiful young men ranging from ages 5 to 13 were so handsome and funny, we fell in love! I am originally from Puerto Rico so my Spanish came in handy when dealing with the younger ones, and I think the parents felt at ease knowing their kids were entrusted to me. All 8 made their way back to their resort rooms safe and sound!
The opening ceremonies were a big success. We found ourselves quite busy--Sierra carried the Puerto Rico sign, I helped one of the wee ones carry the Puerto Rican flag and my husband Gary was asked to ride in the parade as Truman the Dragon in 90-degree heat! Bless him! He will do just about anything I could ever need him to without hesitation or complaint (except take out the garbage)! The fellowship and camaraderie I saw exhibited at this event was amazing... thousands from my county cheered on as each country walked the village of Pinehurst...they cheered for Japan and Southa Africa and Puerto Rico and Peru alomost as loudly as they cheered for our very own US delegates!
Despite the evident fun and friendship, there was ONE defining moment that made the event unforgettable. I was most awestruck as I stood in the middle of the Village of Pinehurst, where I had stood probably a hundred times, and heard a dozen different languages being spoken around me. Time stood still for a moment as I realized that not yards from where I have coffee with my girlfriends, people who had never stepped foot on this continent milled around and commiserated with the "locals". Around the corner from the bank where I patiently wait in line at least once a week, small Japanese children patiently waited in line to taste homemade ice cream from the same place my kids devour theirs. And every visitor I spoke with told me how lucky I was to live in one of the most beautiful places they have ever visited...Moore County, NC. I am indeed a lucky girl!

No comments: