Sunday, August 3, 2008

"Be The Change"--Stuff The Bus: Over $23,000 in Supplies in One Weekend!


I remember the sweat that formed on my upper lip as I got ready for my first day of school in the 6th grade. My father had just left the military with a medical discharge and money was tighter than ever. I had to start school with an old, ugly book bag full of holes, a few pencils and a notebook with last year's work in it. I was terrified the kids would pick on me and I wasn't dissappointed. The busstop was like a fashion show, and though I tried to make myself invisible, one little girl just had to point me out. I will never forget that day because it was the first time I realized we were poor.
In order for children to succeed in school, they have to have a sense of belonging and acceptance, they have to have the tools necessary to do the work. They need the very basic supplies that many parents in Moore County can't afford. When the decision needs to be made between fuel for the car in order to work or a new lunchbag for school, the fuel wins out, but we all lose. Communities In Schools fundraising effort, "Stuff The Bus" Raised over $23,000 in cash and supplies for needy students in Moore County. Final figures aren't in...the number may be even higher. We can be proud of all of our hard work as we struggle to supply kids with the supplies that will make their year more successful.
Sierra will never have a book bag with holes in it, and her pencils are the fancy mechanical kind, but what about other people's children? I want to make sure all the children of Moore County have the opportunity to attend school with all the tools necessary for success. It takes a village to raise a child...and when that child succeeds in school, we all succeed!

No comments: