Tuesday, October 21, 2008

"Be The Change"-- Carolina Performing Arts: Building Kids' Confidence Onstage!



There is very little I actually fear. Spiders, sharks and nuclear war are probably my only real fears. I haven't been afraid to compete, share my opinion or get up in front of a group and speak for many, many years. I can't give the credit to Tony Robbins or some other great motivational guru...the credit should go to Kandy Kane, the first character I ever played on a stage. I stole the show right out from under the lead in the 6th grade play...and learned the true meaning of "there are no small parts, only small actors". That was the day that I discovered ME...through the eyes of a school play character!
Carolina Performing Arts Center offers children in the Sandhills Area the chance to perform in the fields of dance and drama. Study after study shows that children who perform in the fields of art, dance, music and drama do better in school...and with our schools' musical arts programs quickly disappearing, children need an outlet or extra curricular activity that encourages the positivity and confidence-building of performing onstage.
I was excited to be invited as a special guest along with Truman the Reading Dragon to CPAC's Open House, an introductory party to help introduce the children of our community to the Performing Arts. Truman and I danced with the girls, painted faces, and ate lunch al aire fresco with the staff at CPAC. Thanks to CPAC, many small children in the Sandhills Area are on their way to building confidence and growing as individuals and forgetting all their fears of failure. I hope they get a chance to meet their very own inner "Kandy Kane" and steal the show at least once in their lifetimes!

1 comment:

Justin B. said...

I think what your doing is GREAT!!! Helping girls all around find confidence in themselves!!! Keep it up! gb