Monday, February 2, 2009

Be The Change: The A-B-C's of Leading A Child To Success!

Being a mentor is an amazing experience for me personally. I get to help make a difference in a child's life! But you know, anyone can do it. You don't have to be a mentor for CIS-COMPASS Program.
There are simple steps you can take to make a difference:
Affect Children In Your Community By Setting An Example! Assume they see and will imitate everything you do. I speak to classes about the importance of literacy and recycling, walk in the Relay For Life, and help coordinate children’s events for my area in order to set an example for children! Adults can also act as a conduit between children and the organizations that fire them up! I introduce children to groups like Animal Advocates and Recycling Rangers to encourage volunteerism!
Believe In A Child By Becoming A Mentor:
Bring direction to a child's life through mentoring! As I mentioned previously, I mentor at-risk students and teach them the skills they need to succeed as adults. Any adult can be a hero and teach a child something they didn't already know! For example, I teach English as a Second Language to help children in the same situation I was once in (i didn't l;earn English until I was in grade school).
Combine Your Efforts With Others To Provide Resources:
Create fundraisers that help fill the needs of schoolchildren! I have partnered with SandhillsKids and wrote a book about my area that the PTA’s used as a fundraiser to fund sorely needed programs! I have also teamed up with Communities In Schools to raise $23,000 for needy children to receive school supplies, food on weekends & field trip money.
Making a difference in this world isn't easy, but it is possible, and we can all make an impact. Yes, you must committ your time. However, make it a family project like I do: my husband and two children are also involved in all of my community service. Making a difference is a family affair for us...my daughter is a Youth COMPASS Mentor who won the COMPASS Award for Excellence last year from CIS and my son and husband are Communities In Schools volunteers!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. You are an inspiration to many (including me)! -- sent by Yolanda Makle through Facebook.

Anonymous said...

You're making a tremendous difference! :-) --sent by Gina Freeman through Facebook.